WIPL-D Microwave Pro
This software package serves as a fast and accurate design & simulation tool for projects involving microwave circuits, components, and antennas. Seamlessly integrated with WIPL-D Pro 3D EM solver and WIPL-D Optimizer, it enables easy inclusion of 3D models into the circuit as well as their optimization from within the circuit. The current version is v4.0, and the list of improvements in previous versions is available here.
User-friendly schematic capture allows easy circuit modeling. Import of standard-format data files (Touchstone) is supported. The component library includes closed-form models in 4 implementation technologies: microstrip, coplanar waveguide, rectangular waveguide and coaxial. In addition, lumped elements and many idealized device models are available.
WIPL-D Microwave Pro enables you to accurately extract circuit parameters from 3D EM analyzed structures. You can use of-the-shelf predefined library components (in all 4 implementation technologies), or you can interactively build your own composite metallic and dielectric 3D models. Whenever you perform circuit level simulations, the circuit parameters of included 3D EM components are computed on-the-fly.
This cutting-edge software helps you develop such complex structures as:
- RF and microwave filters,
- Matching structures,
- Directional couplers,
- Power dividers,
WIPL-D Microwave Pro add-ons, Filter Designer and Array Designer, allow automatic synthesis of microwave filters and antenna arrays. It is also possible to simulate and optimize various antennas by combining the circuit and 3D-EM solver, such as:
- Microstrip antennas embedded in finite lossy dielectric/magnetic materials,
- Horn-type feeds for reflector antennas,
- Phased arrays along with their matching circuitry, and
- Handset antenna in the vicinity of human head.
The Lite version of WIPL-D Microwave is sold through Artech House publishers, while the Professional version is sold by WIPL-D d.o.o. and its representatives.
New Features by Version
Below is the list of all features introduced in WIPL-D Microwave Pro, ordered by the version in which they first appeared.
- Improved analysis of frequency dependent materials
- Enhanced functionality of tuner
- One mouse click transformation from schematic to microstrip layout
- Two ideal transformer elements enabling mixed-mode S parameter analysis of differential circuits
- General ideal coupled line element
- General power divider element
- Four terminal transmission line elements (floating ground)
- Updated controlled sources elements with delay included
Detailed information on improvements/new features implemented in version 4 you can find in the document WIPL-D Microwave Pro v4.0 - What is New.pdf.
After sticking to v2.3 for some time, WIPL-D invested a significant effort to release a much-improved WIPL-D Microwave Pro v3.0. Ease of use and higher degree of customization are the emphasis of this release when compared to the others.
- Tuner tool enables the user to tune their circuits in real time and with multiple output results in parallel
- Ability to employ advanced GPU technology to decrease simulation time of circuits with large EM subcomponents
- Frequency dependent symbols enable analysis of frequency dependent components and materials
- Users are now able to use the Sweeper and Time Domain Solver in Microwave
- 49 new functions that can be used in the symbols list
- Change of all selected components model by a single click (e.g. EM to Analytical)
- H and E Taper added to the Rectangular Waveguide palette done with the Mode Matching technique
WIPL-D Microwave Pro v2.3 represents a much faster descendant of v2.2. The focus of this release is the speed-up in many segments.
- Greatly accelerated simulation of circuits with large number of ports
- Up to 5 times faster writing of output results
WIPL-D Microwave Pro v2.2 introduces Mode Matching technique and represent a slight alteration of Microwave 2.0.
- Complete Rectangular Waveguide palette done with the Mode Matching technique
WIPL-D Microwave Pro v2.0 is an important upgrade from v1.1 in terms of speed of circuit simulation. The overall simulation of circuits consisting of ideal components is at least 10 times faster, and for closed-form components at least 15 times faster.
- New component description technology leads to multifold acceleration of S-parameters calculation
- Latest library routines used for faster circuit simulation
- Reduced overhead computations in optimization cycles
- Stored Range settings and Zoom Area option in the Graph window
- Link to Time Domain Solver
WIPL-D Microwave Pro v1.1 is a slight alteration of v1.0.
- Q-factor lumped element models
- Link to Filter Designer and Array Designer
While WIPL-D Microwave Pro v1.0 featured only the Lite version of Filter Designer, v1.1 links with professional tools for filter and antenna array design.
WIPL-D Microwave Pro v1.0 is the biggest improvement in comparison with WIPL-D Microwave Lite.
Features introduced with v1.0
- No limits on circuit size - circuits are simulated regardless of the number of nodes, components, or component ports.
- Modular modeling of complex circuits - hierarchical circuit modeling is enabled through usage of subcircuit components. Provided encapsulation simplifies the modeling and handling of complex circuits.
- Mode-matching based rectangular waveguide library - provides very accurate models of waveguide discontinuities that are much faster than 3D EM models. Number of modes taken into account at discontinuity characterization is user-definable.
- Coplanar waveguide library - including 3D EM and closed-form models of discontinuities.
- Smart simulation of EM and mode-matching components - circuit solver saves the results of previously done EM or mode-matching simulations and re-uses them when possible. This option is very useful in circuits including several identical components, or in optimization cycles with a low number of optimization variables.
- Filter Designer Lite - tool for easy LC filter design supports two approximations (Butterworth and Chebyshev). Filter Designer Pro will be released in future featuring more approximations as well as physical filter implementations like stepped-impedance, shunt-stub, edge-coupled, hairpin, combline,...
- Improved visualization of results - graph markers allow easy reading of specific points from 2D graphs. Tabular listing of results is improved by adding the Magnitude/Phase display capability.
- New idealized components - independent floating sources, dependent sources (VCVS,...), generic impedance and admittance, voltmeters.